Wednesday 18 April 2012

I tried to do handstands for you

Chairlift "Bruises"

It’s my birthday next week, next Thursday to be precise, which fills me with both excitement and dread. Now I am not bothered about ‘getting another year older’ I am firmly in the camp of believers that age is just a number, you can get old, but not grow-up, so whatever your age it’s no excuse for not having fun. My real concern lies in the fact that I am now going to have to tick the next box, no longer can I lie safe in the comfort of the 18-23s, I am now a 24-30. For the next few years I will only be filling out forms that allow the option of 21-24, otherwise how on earth can I inform people that I am at the beginning of  24-30, not soon to become a 31-35?!  A dilemma of miniscule proportions I understand, but something that receives my frequential pondering nonetheless.

Another year and another birthday, means another birthday outfit. No different from any other outfit for a night out in theory, apart from the immense amount of personal pressure we place on ourselves to get something that will dictate the mood for the whole night; knowing this doesn't make me any wiser to trying to break this viscous cycle where everything hangs in the balance of few bits of fabric, if my outfit sucks, so will my night! Ha!

So my inspiration started with W Magazine's February fashion shoot 'Hot to Trot,' 'Midcentury Americana gets a shot of glamour with flirty skirts, roadhouse tops, and rootin’ tootin’ boots.' You can check out the feature here, think 50s Americana meets West Side Story which was exhibited perfectly on Dolce and Gabbana's Spring/Summer 2012 catwalk show, alongside Prada's retro-tastic offerings. My favourite looks were:





Dolce and Gabbana S/S '12 Images courtesy of Elle UK



Prada S/S '12 Images courtesy of Elle UK

What has really resided with me was the matchy, matchy skirt and highdrift bearing top combos. If you don't know the highdrift, the bit above your belly button but below your bra line is the hot bit of flesh to flash, it is also a lot more forgiving for those that haven't got model like proportions and definition to die for. I am already a highdrift flesh flasher, so undaunted by the prospect I will be searching out either a matching top to go with one of my existing skirts, or a whole new get up-it is my birthday after all.

Looks that have so far caught my eye come in from Asos:




But it is also worth checking out looks from OasisRare London and New Look for their take on the trend.

Will you dare to bare the highdrift? Or is the crop a fashion flop?

KDx

1 comment:

  1. I love a cute crop top - check out these beauties from Tara Starlet http://www.tarastarlet.com/New+Arrivals/c13/p243/Floral+Halter+Bodice/product_info.html

    b x

    ReplyDelete