Sunday 10 June 2012

Anything you need you can find it at the market

Mac Miller "Frick Park Market"

Here's the follow-up post as promised. This really is an easy little diy, no need for a sewing machine, a few hand stitches was all it took.


To get started all you need is one dress, a pair of scissors and an unpicker. This dress worked well to be turned into a crop as it was seamed at the waist, which provides a guide for where to cut it and also means that the top half will retain it's shape, which is what attracted me to the dress in the first instance.


This dress had a side zip, so I started by unpicking the stitches to remove it, having a smocked elastic back panel means that taking the side zip out will still allow me to get it on and off easily.




When removing a zip, once started if you hold the zip and the fabric taught between your fingers, you can easily get the stitches out without snagging or cutting the fabric in the process.



Having removed the zip I turned the dress inside out and cut as close to the seam as possible, for one it meant that if I wanted to use the remaining dress fabric for something else it wasn't dog-eared, and as I wanted this to be a quick little project, I wasn't planning on stitching the bottom at all. The fabric of this dress  is best described as light weight denim, so it shouldn't fray too much.



The seam allowance where zip was removed was sewn together by hand, I used back stitch, but a couple of rows of running stitch would work if that's all you know.


And there you have it, literally that simple. Not bad for a dress that cost 99p! And yes, the labels were still in it. If you want to see the finished crop and how I styled it, the post is here.

On Wednesday, I will finally get to see Jay-Z and Kanye on their Watch The Throne tour, I am beyond excited!! It seemed like an age away when I booked the ticket, but it's come round so quick. I'm hoping to remember to take some pictures and not get overwhelmed by the whole thing, I feel a little giddy just thinking about it. I am a huge Jay-Z fan, and I mean MEGA! I look forward to filling you in on :)

KDx




No comments:

Post a Comment