Friday 1 June 2012

My home, is where you are


Paul Van Dyk "Home" Ft. Johnny McDaid (Wippenberg Remix)

I own a lot of stuff. Having the (extra) day off today meant I had ample amounts of time to get my life into order. I amass things throughout the week, and it's not until I have some free time I find that I am able to integrate these items into my bedroom and get them accustomed in their new home, now I am not just talking about clothes here. It's a known fact that I love stuff. Period. I buy things because I like them, not necessarily because they have a purpose, just because the thought of not having them is so overwhelming I can't leave them behind. (Charity shops play a big part in my conspicuous consumption). So as can be imagined the issue of storage comes up a lot. I'm fortunate to have a big bedroom, but as us girls know it isn't merely an issue of size. Make of that what you will... *ahem* How you make use of the space you have available will ultimately save you time, and help you keep on top of what you have. 

I've always been interested in interiors, you spend so much time in your house/bedroom, so I think it only right that you invest some of this time in making it fit for purpose. This could be a creating a calming environment to relax in after a busy day, or providing a space that allows you to work from home and let the creativity flow. For me it's a feast for the eyes, I'm a magpie by nature, and I like busy, not messy, but full. I think my need for things to be on display stems from momma bear, we are in stark contrast. She likes clean, simple lines, everything has a place, and that place is generally out of sight.

I look around for inspiration all the time, I like the mix of old and new and it just so happens it is so readily available. I do admire the sleek American aesthetic towards decoration, as can be seen here at Cupcakes an Cashmere. I particularly like the way that The Coveteur "takes you inside the closets of internationally influential cultural forecasters, showing us what culminates in their personal style - one item at a time." In their own words. It's a visual buffet of delights! I urge you to take a look, although be forewarned, I cannot be held responsible for any feelings of lust and envy that will undeniably ensue throughout.

The backdrop to many of my outfit posts is this rather sizeable unit:




It's pretty old now, and I think it comes courtesy of those storage solving Swede's at Ikea. This is the most similar design, if not the same available here, not sure how much I paid, but retailing on their website for £79, it ain't half bad for the amount of stuff it houses. If I were to go through every cube, item by item, I'd bore myself, but a few notable things you will see is that I use my shoes as an ornament-they are beautiful though right? Why can't you use items of clothing or accessories as decorative touches? My thoughts are if I love it so much, and you're not currently using it, why not enjoy it by looking at it? The same goes for the vast amount of jewellery I have, which artfully 'clutters' the majority of the top of the unit.


 

Now these are definitely old, but a relatively new purchase, either birthday or Christmas, but since getting rid of my low bed in favour of a high cast iron framed bed, I needed something of equal or greater height. These are perfect, draws and cubbey holes; extra space for stuff stuffing. Again note the shoe 'display'. A great way to store and display jewellery is through cake stands, these two are genuinely old, but the high street is full of them, from New Look to Next, John Lewis to Wilkinsons, and start upwards from around £8. If you are a bit of a bargain hunter like me, then it's always worth checking out your local car boot and/or charity shops as they do tend to crop up, but since the influx of cupcakes and kitsch kitchenalia coming back onto the radar, they don't tend to stay unsold for long.

Inspired by using suitcases as permanent storage, as Jen over at a little bird also demonstrates in a number of posts, I went in search of some of my own. Again, since changing my bed, I have now gained a wealth of extra space I can put things, however, knowing that whatever I put under my bed would be seen, suitcases seemed ideal, and a little quirky, this is what I came away with:


 





The top one cost £7.50 at a carboot, and the bottom one cost be a bargainous £2 off a man at a market, literally. They now live happily under my bed and are currently and quite comfortably housing the bulkier part of my winter wardrobe, which judging by the forecast for this weekend might have been a bit premature of me...

Anyway, hope everyone has some fun plans for the Jubilee and extra long weekend, did I mention I have 6 days off? Not that I am playing top trumps of time off or anything!

KDx



No comments:

Post a Comment