Sunday 24 June 2012

If you don't believe in something, then you'll fall for anything

Plan B "Lost my way"




A couple of months back now I competed in Miss Worcestershire for the chance to make it through to the England finals, to take a shot at taking the crown as Miss England 2012. In Miss Worcestershire I took the titles of Miss Eco for my Olympic themed Eco outfit, and Miss Charity Queen, for raising the most money for the official charity of Miss World, Beauty With a Purpose. Miss Worcestershire was made a patron for the Acorns Children Hospice; as she was busy competing in the Miss England finals that take place today and tomorrow, I was asked by the event organisers to attend to help with the day distributing medals and trophies to the runners. The weather forecast was bleak and I was advised to wear 'appropriate' clothing, which translates to clothing suitable for traipsing across a muddy field and something remotely waterproof in case there was a downpour. 

I always find it hard to dress when I am given a brief, for instance as soon as someone says lets get dressed up and go 'glam' I freeze up, I don't like to label outfits, I'm more of a 'dress how you feel' kinda girl, which means you tend to never be out of your comfort zone as you are always dressing for you. 

Barrets (ancient!) leather boots, New Look knee high socks, M&S tights (best black tights ever!) River Island skirt via ebay, H&M necklace and sleeveless shirt, Oasis leather jacket, Disney and H&M jewellery


To combat the given brief, I reassessed my thinking and attuned my thoughts to familiar territory to what would I wear if I was going to a beer festival, or a music event say in the current weather. This meant I was able to happily get dressed without hitch at 7am this morning. (Knowing I had at least an hours drive I didn't have the luxury of trying on outfits before I left; a normal weekend occurrence.) 



I had to do a close-up of the necklace I wore to do it the justice it deserves. I had spotted it on my lunch break in gold a couple of weeks back in H&M and left the shop empty handed. Low and behold the necklace has plagued my every thought since, so it came home with my in silver, a) I couldn't find the gold and b) I couldn't not have it at all, so it was silver or nothing. (Keep your eyes peeled for when the gold one makes an appearance on the blog. I need it.)



It turns out I was very practically dressed, which isn't a feeling I am overly familiar with. NB The earlier made comment about always dressing for you, there was no mention of appropriateness, but thats all part of the fun! 

The race is split into three separate races, with them all crossing the same finishing line, a 1km 'Chicken Run', a 5km run and the Half Marathon. All the runners self submit, so it's a great opportunity to really push yourself if you aren't sure of your ability. (St. John's Ambulance are on standby for anyone that pushed themselves too hard!) There were around 1200 runners in all, with about 700 of them opting to run the half marathon, this included dogs and their owners, children and babies in pushchairs-yes one yummy mummy ran the half marathon with her little girl in her pushchair. The fastest 5km run was 19minutes and the fastest half marathon runner managed it in 1 hour and 13 minutes, impressive times even to someone with as little knowledge of running as me.

My duties required me to smile, a lot, and hand out medals at the finish line to the very grateful runners. It was so nice to be involved in something completely different, even though I chose not to go forward for Miss England, the experience has really opened up a whole host of other activities happening that I can get involved in. Who knows, maybe next year I'll knock out a quick 5k when I go. (Highly unlikely, but it's not to get caught up in the moment sometimes!)


KDx

No comments:

Post a Comment