Wednesday 16 May 2012

I am the ring leader of my own circle


Delilah "Breathe"

One of the many joys of knowing what suits your body shape is having the ability to play dress up every day; getting there may take some time, and a lot of trial and error in the process, but the outcome is ultimately worth it.

For me, this means that from any one day to the next I can dress up to suit my mood, where I am going, what I am doing, or influence how I want people to think of me. As much as we would all like to lead ourselves to believe that we are capable of not judging a book by it’s cover, we pigeon hole people as a ‘type’ as soon as we see what they are wearing, not necessarily in a negative light though. On occasions identifying with someone because they have a similar style to you can often indicate a certain way of thinking, or might help you to draw on common ground and talking points, which is a great way to start conversation with someone or meet new people. Take for instance the first friend I made at University on my course, she said she noticed me as soon as I walked in and thought I looked fun, and we’ve been friends ever since. She of course was right; I’m fun in heapfuls! Ha!

My point is that, what is fashion, if not a means of expressing ourselves, an old cliché, but one that holds very true.  For me this means girl crushing over tweeted pictures of Rihanna, and  Rita Ora who both have a look that's a mix of 90’s glam-come-grunge; to admiring the leggy loveliness of the Saturday’s. (Guilty pleasure anyone?!) Case in pictures, Rochelle Wiseman and Mollie King:


Pictures courtesy of Look Magazine

Since bagging the blazer and satisfying my desire to work it into as many outfits as possible, I have been keeping an eye out for how to develop the look. So moving on from the classic denim shorts and blazer combination, Rochelle and Mollie have very aptly demonstrated not only do they both possess killer pins, but the Spring short-suit, or 'co-ord' is hot right now. (Yes the Rita Ora reference was intentional).

One of my other favourite co-ord wearers has to be Caroline Flack, if not for her fashion credentials alone, then for the fact that I am betting those pins had something to do with her bagging a certain young singer who’s making it big over the pond.


Images courtesy of InStyle Magazine and The Mirror online

My plan is to take inspiration from these looks and work my blazers into a Spring worthy outfits. It's my friend's birthday this Friday and we are all going out for a meal to celebrate, a somewhat civilised affair for a change, which I think will be the perfect outing to showcase my co-ord.

As always the high street is full of ideas, be it buying separates and creating your own combination, for this I recommend sticking to a similar colour palette or tones, like Mollie and the Flack, or picking either a patterned jacket or short and picking out a key colour for the other as Rochelle exhibits; or going for a full on matching 'suit' which can be found in Asos, Topshop and River Island, boasting pattern, texture and a punch of colour.

Would you be willing to smarten up your weekend uniform for a short suit, or think it's best left in the boardroom? Sadly the legs are not included with this look!

KDx

No comments:

Post a Comment