Thursday 2 August 2012

Let me catch my breath

Disclosure "Control" Ft.Ria Ritchie

Seriously suffering from a bad case of holiday hangover. I'm sure I am not alone. In fact I know I'm not as I can pretty confidently vouch for the other 7 girls I went with. I love being at home, but I'd like it to be more of a pit stop between holidays, opposed to a long stop between short holidays. But enough of the post holiday blues.

What did we learn in Ibiza? 
Well, the last time I went to Ibiza, when I say last that was the first time three years ago at the tender age of 21, fresh out of uni as a graduate, practically still clutching my 2:1 degree.... I've noticed things have changed somewhat. Not least of all the fact that food is more important this time around. I cannot live on the yummy mallowy goodness of a flump and a pizza alone on a daily basis.When you take the time to realise there are restaurants selling damn good food at a reasonable price, you wonder why you would let the crap cut it. (The flumps were still welcome though!). Definitely a sign that my head is closing the age gap between itself and my actual age.

Ibiza fashion has changed. There is definitely a distinctive 'look' that has developed, both for the guys and girls; there are a lot of cross overs. Here's a break down:

Sunglasses: Only wayfarers will do. Any colour, preferably real, but it's hard to tell amongst the plethora of fakes being thrust upon you at every opportunity. So if you are going and you haven't had chance to buy your Ray Bons, or Rey Bans (other versions are available) ebay is the place to go. Buy them cheap and don't get attached to them.

Footwear: The ladies tended to lean more towards Converse hi-tops, but a few low tops still made an appearance. And for the gents, Nikes. A hi or mid Blazer, or a Dunk high top, but preferably in tonal colours, I saw a few green on greens, blue on blue and red on burgundys. Whatever they were they had to be suede-which considering what people tend to get up to in Ibiza is crazy. But then maybe it was a good sign if they managed to keep them clean? I have no intention of doing a shoe analysis.

Shorts: Were short. Both men and women had lost a few inches off the hem line. Ladies were flashing a bit of cheek at every opportunity, irrelevant to the perkiness of the behind, but always in denim. Ripped, studded, adorned with jewels and tie-dyed, just make sure it's denim. As for the boys, brightly coloured running style shorts cutting more at mid thigh length to knee length, worn with nothing but a ripped torso.

Bags: The bum bag was the bag du jour for both sexes, wore low slung in leather leaning towards the more 90s style, opposed to tourist practicality.

Socks: The curve ball look of the holiday that couldn't go unnoticed, despite my concern over awkward tan lines they were white, calf length with two or three sports stripes in varying colours.

So with that in mind here's a little holiday shopping list if you're planning on making a trip to the White Isle and want to look part of the set as soon as your Converse wearing feet touch down:
Stripe Calf-High Sock £7 from American Apparel

Nike Blazer Hi Suede Vntage Aqua Green £66.99 from Office


BDG Studded Cheeky Short £45 from Urban Outfitters

Colour Wayfarer Sunglasses now £3 from Asos

Teal Swim Short £22 from Topman

Bum Bag now £12.99 from Amazon
Converse All Stars £45 from Schuh


What do you think to the 'Ibiza' style? Would you rock this look on holiday? Have you ever re-visited a place and noticed how the style has changed?

KDx

No comments:

Post a Comment