Wednesday 14 March 2012

Hi-fi boom box, Pretty girl in bobby socks

The Black Keys "Go Getter"

Fashion is confusing. FACT.

Sometimes I’ll read a ‘trend report’ on what is supposedly in and/or out this week/month/year not to mention this season/pre-season/cruise collection (for those of you that I have lost, please revert back to the operative word in the opening being confusing and those that I've still got, stick with me!) And I think to myself, how can ‘Skirts have clout but trousers are OUT’ or whatever item of clothing the trend pushers are pedaling. I don’t think it should be taken to literally. It isn’t a statement to say that that anyone seen wearing the offending item is doomed to be arrested by the fashion police, but it is merely encouragement to think about the way in which we dress or approach the item that has been brought to the fore.

For me, the trend that has caught my eye is socks. “So What” I hear you all thinking (Yes hear you thinking, it’s a talent)  “Big Deal!” But think for a second about the way you wear socks. (For those of you that said on your feet, this is no time for sartorial cynicism.) You get up, get dressed, put your socks on, then your shoes; they merely act as a barrier between your foot and chosen footwear for the day. They have so much more potential! Socks are a cheap and fun way to take a simple outfit and turn it into a look.

Point in pictures:

Zara Court Shoe with Metal Toe Cap £69.99
Zara Short Sock £3.99

This Zara sock and shoe combo would work well with a mid length pencil skirt, a subtle way to update an office look, or a pair of ankle rolled jeans. For those who are the brave, go all out! Florals would totally rock with this!


New Look Block Heel Platform £24.99
Topshop Lace Trim Ankle Sock £3.50 (or 3 pairs for £8)

Team this combo with a flippy skater skirt or dress, and go all out 50s Diner Girl. And for the brave, add a varsity or collegiate style bomber jacket to up the ante. 

Asos Highlight Wedges with Colour Block £55
River Island Slinky Ankle Sock £4

The flatform style heel would lend itself to a daytime outfit, almost anything denim would work, think 70s style A-line denim skirts or denim cut-offs, and for those wanting to take it to the next level pair with a denim dungaree dress and a wide brimmed floppy hat.


I've dipped my toe in the trend, but I think for me I will be recreating something similar to the 50s Diner Girl look-minus bomber, but maybe with the addition of retro hair styling... I will of course post my progress!

Are any of you brave enough to pull your socks up and ditch the tights?!

KDx


No comments:

Post a Comment