Sunday 25 March 2012

So one, two, three, take my hand and come with me

Jet "So are you gonna be my girl"


I'm not sure when 'Wedding Season' starts, or what that even means, but I attended my first wedding of the year over the weekend; my Gramps got remarried and the weather was just perfect for it! The venue was a lovely big ol' house in the town along from where I live, a place called 'Grafton Manor'. 




The venue was as impressive on the inside as the outside. It was an intimate wedding, just very close friends and family, and despite it's size, it managed to retain this feeling. A few pictures of inside:







I love the little touches at weddings, they really make it, I took the name card home with me too. The cake was a 3 tiered cake, the bottom layer was fruit cake (the devil's food), the second layer was chocolate and the top lemon. I tried the top two layers and they were yummy!

Wedding dressing is notoriously difficult, especially for women. If you are at the wedding and the reception, your outfit needs to function well for both purposes, not too flashy for the day, but not too plain for the evening. Then there is the weather to contend with, on this instance I was lucky to have the sun on my side, and so the dilemma of whether or not to wear a jacket and/or tights was eliminated. This is what I opted for:


Warehouse Dress via ebay, carboot sale belt, Topshop gold shoes, Miss Selfridge earrings, belt (worn as a headband) off a dress that is now long gone


This wasn't what I had intended to wear, but being the shopper I am, I hate to admit I always have something to wear, the question lies more-so with whether or not I want to wear it. I am very fortunate in the fact that I am a heel wearer, I cope well with heels, and despite my height I'm not put off vertiginous heels-I love them! The higher the better personally. But apart being comfortable there are a number of things you can consider in order to ensure a successful wedding outfit, a few things on my wedding outfit checklitst would be:

  • Heels aren't for everyone. Yes we all envy those that have the ability to wear higher heels for longer (Yes, even with the ability to wear 5 inches I too envy those that don't require the platform for longevity) If you can't walk in them, don't wear them. Simple. It's going to be a long day and night, and a lot of that time can be spent stood standing, so find a height you feel comfortable in, and stick to it. Weddings are not the best time to air your new shoes. If you haven't worn them before you don't know how comfy or uncomfortable they might turn out to be. If you insist on buying new shoes, wear them in. It's amazing how good you will feel wearing your new high heels to do menial tasks, and you're wearing them in-double bonus!
  • Layers. When the weather is as unpredictable as we know it can be in England, light layers are a great way to look stylish and keep off the chill. Just because you are at a wedding, you do not have to throw on a pashmina. I think it says 'woman of a certain age', which is no problem for women of that age, but unless that is you, put the pashmina away. Throws and shawls are one in the same, just different names-you can't fool me!
  • Pattern is your friend. As a general rule, if you are a bit clumsy a patterned dress will be the best option for you as it will disguise marks and spillages. The same applies if you are a mother or you are likely to be around children, a busy floral pattern will disguise mucky finger marks.
  • Fabric. Think about how much sitting and standing you will be doing, a dress made of silk will crease. So as lovely as it will look when you arrive, once you've stood and sat a few dozen times, the dress won't look so sharp. Pleats are a good choice, and still on trend.
If you do happen to be going to a wedding and are stuck for some inspiration, my go-to shops are Warehouse, Oasis and French Connection, they have a great selection of occasion dresses and come in at reasonable prices. They also sell very wearable dresses, so if you choose well you should be able to change your accessories to get more than one wear out of it.

Have you got any tips for dressing for a wedding, or special occasion? I am sure with each wedding I learn something new!

KDx



No comments:

Post a Comment